Park, S-H., Shin, H.B. and Kang, H-S. (eds.) (2021) Exporting Urban Korea? Reconsidering the Korean Urban Development Experience. Routledge
A detailed examination of the “Korean development model” from its urban dimension, evaluating its sociopolitical contexts and implications for international development cooperation.
There is an increasing tendency to use the development experience of Asian countries as a reference point for other countries in the Global South. Korea’s condensed urbanization and industrialization, accompanied by the expansion of new cities and industrial complexes across the country, has become one such model, even if the fruits of such development may not have been equitably shared across geographies and generations. The chapters in this book critically reassess the Korean urban development experience from regional policy to new town development, demonstrating how these policy experiences were deeply rooted in Korea’s socioeconomic environment and discussing what can be learned from them when applying them in other developmental contexts.
This book will be of great interest to scholars and researchers in the field of urban studies and developmental studies in general, and in Korea’s (urban) development experience in particular.
Table of Contents
1. Introduction: Reconsidering the Korean Urban Development Experience for International Cooperation (Se Hoon Park, Hyun Bang Shin, and Hyun Soo Kang)
Part I: Outlining the Urban Transformation of Korea
2. Transformations in the Governance of Urban and Regional Planning in Korea: From (Neo-)Developmentalism to Civic Democracy, 1965–2020 (Mike Douglass)
3. Korea’s Regional Development Policy: Understanding Its Context and Drawing Implications for International Development Cooperation (Won Bae Kim)
4. Urban Transformation ‘Korean Style’: Lessons from Property-based Urban Development (Hyun Bang Shin)
5. From Commodities to Community Engagement: Localities and Urban Development in Seoul, Korea (Blaž Križnik and Su Kim)
Part II: Modeling the Korean Urban Development Experience
6. Export Urbanism: Asian Emerging Donors and the Politics of Urban Development Knowledge Sharing (Jamie Doucette and Farwa Sial)
7. A Multitude of Models: Transferring Knowledge of the Korean Development Experience (Cuz Potter and Jinhee Park)
8. International Urban Development Leadership: Singapore, China and South Korea Compared (Hyung Min Kim, Julie Miao, and Nicholas Phelps)
Part III: Policies and Institutions of the Korean Urban Development
9. Exporting New City Developments? From New Towns to Smart Cities (Yu Min Joo)
10. Housing Policy and Urban Redevelopment in Contemporary Korea (Seong Kyu Ha)
11. Land Development Schemes in South Korea: Background, Structure and Outcome (Seowhan Lim)
12. Knowledge-Policy Nexus: Policy Research Institutes and the Urban Development Regime in Korea (Se Hoon Park)
13. Engines for Development: Public Development Corporations and Their Role in Urban Development in Korea (Jieun Kim)